Sunday, July 13, 2014

One for the books

Yesterday was one for the books.
It started with a 10k race with my husband. The town we live in has a celebration called Festival Days which includes pageants, booths, entertainment, a parade, and four races: a half marathon, 10k, 5k, and a 7.3 mile trail run. The races are well run for as small an event as Festival Days is. I was impressed. The half marathon course is notoriously hard though, no downhill, out-of-a-canyon race here. The 10k is lovely, but challenging (read: lots of uphill). That said, my husband rocked it! Let me remind you he only started running less than a year ago. And he only runs 3 miles a day. He kept his strong pace the entire 6.2 miles--hills and all--and brought home a solid second place finish in his division. Who does that?
To my end, I must say that I kept up with him, though it pushed my comfort zone. I too took second place in my division (age groupers over here!) and a fourth-place female overall. Not a bad way to start the day.
We returned home to this:
This lovely girl was aching to open her birthday presents. We wasted no time and tore into the wrapping paper.
Then on to the parade where some friendly lady jumped off a parade float and handed her the biggest heart-shaped balloon I've ever seen. Best. Birthday. Ever.

Fireworks followed after dark. Hubby and I sat out on the back porch and stared at the moon for a while just enjoying the warm summer night. It can't get much better than that.

What's your best birthday memory?
Do like downhill races?
What's your favorite thing about summer?




No comments:

Post a Comment

Come on, radiate some sunshine over here.